Rail Freight Forum
Forum Chair: Julian Worth CMILT
Forum Secretary: Andrew Hemmings FCILT
This new Forum has been created in line with the launch of the Professional Sectors.
The aim of the Rail Freight Forum is to provide an independent professional group offering expertise and
- Knowledge across the full range of rail freight issues in the United Kingdom.
- As an advocate for the use of rail freight, the Forum will support and develop innovation from its unique position in the industry.
To assist individual members of the CILT in their Continuing Professional Development (CPD) by giving guidance on Rail Freight and Logistics. To mentor and develop individuals interested in developing expertise in rail freight. To communicate regularly with members to improve understanding and share best practice.
To help logistic companies improve business efficiency and gain environmental credibility through better understanding of the benefits of rail freight.
To contribute to the promotion of the Institute by creating a centre of knowledge and expertise that is independent, professional, unbiased and non-commercial. To enable CILT to play a greater and more influential part in public policy-making.
To forge links with government departments and relevant external organisations involved in rail freight. These include the Department for Transport, Office of Rail Regulation, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland Government, Rail Delivery Group, Network Rail, Freight Operating Companies, Transport for London, local Enterprise Partnerships in England; local Government Associations, Institute of Rail Operators, Freight Transport Association and the Rail Freight Group.
To establish links with other CILT groups, particularly the Rail and Supply Chain Professional Sectors, the Retail Logistics and Food Logistics Forums, the Public Policy Committee, the Young Professionals forum and regional groups.
To develop and publish research papers and case studies, focusing on innovation and outcomes. The main focus will be on the United Kingdom plus international links to/from our shores, both European and deep sea. To include strategic developments, innovations and best practice elsewhere, in particular Europe and North America.
To study the provision and location of rail freight terminals in Great Britain, to help anticipate and plan for future expansion that is economically sound, environmentally desirable and affordable in terms of both public and private sector investment
The Forum will be managed by a volunteer Committee which will choose its Chair and Secretary. The Committee will be supported by additional members of the Forum to assist with key tasks, projects, research and publicity. Committee members will actively contribute to the Forum in line with their areas of expertise. The Rail Freight Forum will pursue its objectives by working closely with all other organisations in the industry.
Rail Freight Forum Newsletters
- Issue 2, October 2018 – To view it, click here.
- Issue 1, April 2018 – To view it, click here.
Reports & Presentations
Responses to Government Consultations
- Network Rail Wales Route Study Consultation – Response submitted on 9th June 2015 – To view click here
- Network Rail East Midlands Route Study Consultation – Response submitted on 27th April 2015 – To view click here
- Network Rail Wessex Route Study Consultation – Response submitted on 4th February 2015 – To view click here
- Network Rail Anglia Route Study Consultation – Response submitted on 3rd February 2015 – To view click here
- Network Rail South East Route – Sussex Area Route Study Consultation submitted on 13th January 2015 – To view click here
- Network Rail Western Route Study Consultation submitted on 9th January 2015 – To view click here
Focus Magazine Articles
- Tackling Big Data in a Railway Context - June 2016 – View here
- Shaw Report: follow-up – May 2016 – View here
- Rail Freight Forum Progress Report - December 2015 – View here
- Competition in the European Rail Industry – June 2015 – View here
- Rail Freight: a UK Success Story – June 2015 – View here
- Rail Freight Forum Update – December 2014 – View here
- Northern Powerhouse Rail by Tim Wood, Rail Director, Transport for the North. September 2018 - To view, click here.
- Future of Freight: Managing Congestion by Ian Brooker, WSP - To view, click here.
- Professionalising Logistics & Supply Chain, by Judith Bentley, Professional Development Manager, CILT. July 2018. - To view, click here.
- Rail Based Logistics by Russell Group Director Ken Russell, Monday 23rd March 2015, Lloyd’s Register, London – To view click here
- Overview of Freight Strategy & Plans by Network Rail Freight Director Paul McMahon, Wednesday 21st January, CILT, London – To view click here
Multimodal 2015 Reports
- CILT at Multimodal 2015 Seminar: Rail now keeping urgent deliveries on the move – View full details here
- Multimodal 2015 seminars Press Coverage – View full details here
Want to find out more?
If you would like to get involved with the CILT Rail Freight Forum or have any questions then please contact the Forum Co-ordinator.