Welcome to the Warehouse Technology and Materials Handling Forum
Warehouse Technology and Materials Handling Forum
Chair: Martin Brickell, Operations Director, Accenture UK
During the last few years, the role of the warehouse has radically changed to meet increasing demands of more responsive supply chains. The warehouse has taken on the role of manufacturing as a mass customisation centre and retailing where it supplies direct to the end-user. Customer demand has changed significantly which has impacted all operational areas, inventory carrying costs have been recognised as a key financial measure and the cost of capital employed in a warehouse impacts the bottom line along with speed of service now being a major contributor to a business’s success.
There are many complex technologies now deployed in order to produce an effective operation and to optimise the cost-performance equation - including automation where applicable and ever more integrated and sophisticated Warehouse Management Systems. But there are also operations where expensive investment in not justified and more basic processes / technology are more appropriate – these also can be optimised for minimum cost and maximum return.
The mission of the Forum is to inform, educate and support the logistics industry in achieving excellence through shared experience, practical knowledge and best practice in all aspects of warehouse applications and technology.
The aim therefore is to better equip the logistics professional to make the right decision for the business, be it to improve what they have through new technology or improved business process, right through to entirely new solutions.
Forum events are user-driven and requests for areas to be covered are always welcome. If you are a logistics professional and would like to know more about new technologies on the market before investing, or are seeking ways to maximise benefits from your existing asset then the Forum is the ideal opportunity.
The Forum is committed to producing a comprehensive range of industry knowledge to all levels of operational and development management
- The Forum recognises the need to be neutral, relevant, comprehensive and practical
- The Forum recognises the need for dynamic involvement of our younger members
- Business is serious but – it can be fun and exciting – and so the Forum approach, whilst informal is nonetheless very focused on our mission.
Forum Mission Statement
- To initiate review and discussion in all areas of warehouse design, operation, and in the appropriate use of technology and materials handling.
- To share information with members via the setting up of events and workshops and by providing articles on the forum website.
- To aim where applicable to collate common standards of (best) practice to promote operational improvement and benchmarking.