Ministry of Defence
The Ministry of Defence (MOD) protects the security, independence and interests of the UK at home and abroad. We work with our allies and partners whenever possible. Our aim is to ensure that the armed forces have the training, equipment and support necessary for their work, and that we keep within budget. To achieve this, the MOD employs a blend of Military (Regular and Reserve), Civilians and Contracted Personnel who operate as a flexible, adaptable and collaborative whole force.
The Defence Support Function currently has over 27,000 MOD Personnel working in a diverse range of Logistics roles, with a further 25,000 plus working in closely related Equipment and Engineering Support Roles. These personnel play a key role in the effective and efficient delivery of the Defence Support Outputs. Chief of Defence for Logistics and Support is the functional Owner for support and is working closely with Assistant Chief Defence Staff (Support Operations), in his role as Head of Profession for Logistics to develop the logistics Profession and related skills in Defence.
This will be achieved through:
- Alignment of MOD Career Paths and training requirements to industry standards;
- Professionalising the Whole Force to industry standards and developing transferrable skills between Defence and industry;
- Understanding the capability of the Whole Force, in order to address capability gaps or surpluses, both now and in the future;
- Optimising Logistics training and education, including alignment to professional standards, where available; and,
- Assurance of MOD’s people capability to meet Defence Logistics’ outputs within the Defence Support Function.
The MOD invests significantly in providing its people with world class training and development opportunities. Building on the already well-established relationship between the CILT and MOD, Corporate Membership of the CILT formalises that relationship and provides another indication of the importance MOD places on ensuring its people are professionally recognised and have access to all that professional membership offers them in terms of the development of their careers in the logistics sector.